Director of the Academic Resource Center
Juniata College is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Academic Resource Center. The Director will work with a dedicated, student-centered team of academic counselors and support staff to provide a full range of academic success initiatives to undergraduate students. The Director will design and implement innovative learning strategies to engage/partner with students, and will connect them to campus resources that support both their academic and personal growth, as well as help prepare them for life after college while facilitating their success as students and citizens.
The focus of this position is on innovative programming that is proactive in creating pathways to support student retention and academic success. Responsibilities of the position include: developing and facilitating academic skills programming, administration of peer tutoring services, working collaboratively with faculty and the Registrar to organize and administer academic advising, providing academic counseling to students with varying academic needs, and coordinating academic components of new student orientations.
The Director will report to the Dean of the Library and supervise Disability Services. S/He will be expected to work collaboratively with the Faculty, Academic Affairs, Division of Student Life, and other key constituents across campus to enhance existing structures and develop new programming that promotes student engagement by providing all students with strategies and skills to become successful, independent, active learners.
Juniata College is developing a Learning Commons and this position will play a key role in the development of this learning space and the integration of learning success elements as key programming aspects of the commons.
• Master’s degree in relevant field; or a master’s degree with experience in the field of academic success
• Experience working with a diverse student population in academic success, academic support, academic advising, student development or a related field
• Ability to use analytics and data to inform decisions
• Strong communication skills in group and one-on-one settings
• Progressive work experience in higher education or related field
• Advance the college’s mission of inclusive excellence by fostering a campus climate in which differences based on race, ethnicity, cultural background, national origin, political viewpoints, religious or spiritual affinity, age, ability, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or socioeconomic class are validated and embraced.
• Work as a member of a collaborative team providing effective programming to promote student success; provide supervision to staff within the ARC
• Participate in the creation of a culture of mentoring
• Empower students as learners by helping them to develop strategies and skills to achieve academic success through workshops, tutoring, coaching and training
• Advocate for students, responding in a timely and professional manner to student academic difficulties
• Maintain accurate student records
Key Skills and Characteristics
• Commitment to Juniata College as a Liberal Arts Institution, and to our Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILO's)
• Collaborative leadership capacity and comfort working with constituents from across the campus to develop programs that bridge offices, creating seamless pathways for students to succeed
• Commitment to student success based in holistic personal and academic development; solid understanding of student development and identity theories that inform programing decisions; experience working with undergraduates
• Excellent organizational skills, strong communication skills, demonstrated ability to develop and sustain strong working relationships within a diverse community
• Supervisory and program management experience
• Experience with implementing, assessing and modifying effective innovative programs and best practices that supports student success and align with Juniata ILO’s
• Experience with strategic planning, oversight, and comfort with direct student interaction
• Knowledge of disability services
Applicants should submit: 1) a cover letter that addresses your understanding of academic success at a Juniata, as a liberal arts college, 2) a resume and, 3) a list of three professional references.
For full consideration please submit materials by May 19th. For further information about the college please visit http://www.juniata.edu.
Juniata College takes positive steps to enhance diversity in both its community and its curriculum. The College commits to this policy, not because of legal obligations, but because it fully believes that such practices are basic to human dignity.
It is the Policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks.
To apply for this position, please complete our online application: