At Juniata College, we look for students who recognize the value of being a citizen of the world in an increasingly global and diverse community. Regardless of your primary area of study while at Juniata, the Eagles Abroad Scholarship Program gives students who wish to continue to learn either Russian, Spanish, German, or French the opportunity to have multiple study abroad experiences, and to engage deeply with global language and culture.
- Participation in a free Juniata-organized, post-freshman year summer intensive language immersion program abroad, for college credit.
- $3,000 credited to your Juniata College account when you spend a full year abroad at a Juniata approved site, or $1,500 when you spend a semester abroad.
- Language study each semester while on campus (1 class).
- Participation in "Language in Motion"
Since 2013, Juniata College has had 10 graduating seniors win Fulbright fellowship. Of those ten, seven of them won the Eagles Abroad Scholarship and were able to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity while at Juniata. You can read some of their stories below:
- Neal Donovan (German)
- Erin Netoskie (German)
- Alex Bernosky (Russian)
- Molly Adler (Russian)
- Alyssa Grube (Spanish)
- Erin Mclure (German)
The Selection Process
Nominees for the scholarship are selected by their admission counselor during the application reading process. Nominations are based on the student's demonstrated interest in either Russian, Spanish, German, or French language and culture. Students are NOT chosen based on their proficiency in a language, but instead on demonstrated interest and commitment to furthering their education as a global citizen.
After a student is nominated, professors in the language departments review the applicants and select approximately 150 semi-finalists who are invited to campus to interview with the professors. Finalists MUST interview with a professor in order to win the scholarship. Every student who applies and is accepted by January 1st, is eligible for consideration.
Juniata College offers study abroad locations on 6 different continents. Winners of the eagles abroad scholarship will spend their immersion trip, and semester in a country where their language of study is spoken.
- Africa: The Gambia, Morocco
- Asia: China, India, Japan
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Russia, Spain, United Kingdom
- North America: Canada, Mexico
- Oceania: Australia, New Zealand
- South America: Ecuador
You can read more about study abroad opportunities here.