Raystown Field Station Residence Director
Juniata College, a nationally ranked liberal arts college located in the scenic mountains of central Pennsylvania, invites applications for the position of Raystown Field Station (RFS) Residence Director. The successful candidate for this position will have dual responsibilities both as a Residence Director for the college remote field station with 14 resident students and with the Raystown Field Station as an academic program assistant to support undergraduate courses and labs taught as part of the station residential semester. The Director of the Field Station and Director of Residential Life supervises this position. This position is live-in; evening and weekend hours are expected. This position is full-time with a 12-month employment term.
The Specific Responsibilities of the RFS Program Assistant include:
• Develop, implement and assess the learning community residential programs at RFS
• Assist the facilities supervisor in general station operations and visitor support.
• Assist the RFS teaching faculty in classroom and laboratory exercises and provide field support logistics.
• Assist in the implementation of field research projects.
• Assist the Enrollment Office with scheduling new student tours.
• Oversee vehicle management and scheduling.
• Manage Social Media accounts for RFS.
• Maintain kayaks sign out and usage schedule.
The Specific Responsibilities of the Resident Director (RD) include:
• Communicate, monitor, and enforce the policies and procedures that affect the residence hall operation
• Address residents’ needs and help to mediate roommate conflicts
• Coordinate the opening and closing procedures for the residence halls at the beginning and end of each semester and for holiday periods.
• Report damages, repair needs, and replacement needs to the Field Station Office.
• Develop and implement strategies that mirror the Residential Compass for students residing at the station.
• Attend and monitor RFS campus functions, as needed.
• Intentionally engage with outdoor student organizations and coordinate activities at the field station.
• Utilize student development theories to assist with assessing student needs, setting goals, developing and evaluating programs.
• When necessary, make referrals for students facing academic, personal, or other concerns.
• Participate in the overall administration of the Office of Residential Life by serving on committees and tasks forces, representing the office as requested, and cooperatively assisting colleagues.
• Maintain a positive and supportive working relationship with all members of the Residential Life staff
• Attend one-on-one meeting with Director of Residential Life on a bi-weekly basis or as needed.
• Assist the Dean of Students Office with judicial proceedings for residents who have allegedly violated a Juniata College policy.
• Assume on-duty responsibilities for residents and visitors at the station.
• Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Director of Residential Life.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree is required. Previous professional or paraprofessional experience in campus activities and/or residential life is preferred.
Applicants with previous experience with environmental field science and / or outdoor education are also preferred.
It is the policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks.
Juniata College takes positive steps to enhance the ethnic and gender in both its campus and its curriculum. The College commits to this policy not only because of legal obligations, but because it fully believes that such practices are basic to human dignity.
To apply for this position, please complete our online application: