Dean of the Library
Juniata College seeks a dynamic leader who will develop strategies and partnerships to enhance the academic impact of our Library and be a key contributor to the planning and implementation of an integrated learning commons. The Dean of the Library will provide vision, strategy, and creativity for a contemporary academic library situated at the intellectual heart of the campus. This position requires commitment to collaboration and engagement, to inclusive excellence, to student partnerships, and to campus outreach.
As an integral part of academic leadership at Juniata, the Dean will report directly to the Provost and work collaboratively with the entirety of Academic Affairs. Supported by an experienced library staff, the successful candidate will be a passionate library professional committed to improving and enhancing student engagement with librarians and library information resources and engendering a sense of confidence and enthusiasm in the process of academic inquiry. The Dean of the Library will engage constituents across campus to find opportunities to enhance and support research, learning, and teaching in a technology-rich environment. Given these roles, the successful candidate will exhibit leadership qualities, knowledge of emerging issues facing academic libraries, a commitment to responsive and innovative services, a strong record for optimizing resources, and commitment to sustaining a vital teaching, learning, and scholarly enterprise.
The Dean of the Library position aligns with a new vision for the College as we develop an integrated learning commons. The learning commons will serve as a resource built upon traditional and revitalized library services, technologically enhanced learning spaces, and crucial services for student learning. In this space, students will find a range of environments in which they can work alone or in groups, receive coaching from peers, practice new skills or play with new ideas, learn something unexpectedly, and engage easily with each other. Students will do these things in a building designed with their needs in mind—the right resources and services and the right spaces with flexibility. We plan for a visibly innovative, vibrant, and inviting space organized to deepen student engagement with their academic experience and that will foster the development of skills, knowledge, and values pursuant to our mission.
The College is undertaking a general education review while fundraising for a library renovation and expansion, both of which will guide and support programmatic and physical visions for the Library and the learning commons. Juniata’s Dean of the Library will partner with the campus community during a time of programmatic and physical change to imagine and implement a vision aligned with our strategic plan, “Courage to Act.”
Essential Functions of the Position
In light of the opportunity and its exigencies, the new Dean of the Library will be responsible for leadership of the Library predicated on wide outreach, clear communication, and strong collaboration.
In support of the College’s strategic plan and mission, the successful candidate will embrace a student-centered approach to defining the library as an academic hub of student engagement with a learning commons as a core component. The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader and strong collaborator who partners with constituents to create programs and integrate resources and technologies to cultivate an actively inquisitive research and learning environment.
• Work with other college divisions towards a shared plan to provision new programs and develop an environment of academic excellence encouraging skill development, research, critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration
• Establish priorities for addressing library facility needs and oversight for the maintenance and improvement of library facilities, including a large-scale capital project.
• Optimize library to enhance and support the learning environment at Juniata by utilizing resources effectively to meet goals and benchmarks to serve academic priorities.
The successful candidate will ensure operational leadership and management of the library and information services team.
• Mentor and supervise a library team to foster a positive work and learning environment, promote and celebrate diversity, and embrace professionalism.
• Promote, assess, and evaluate library programs and services that address the needs of contemporary users.
Outreach, Communication and Collaboration
Promoting the Library and learning commons within and outside of the College, the successful candidate will strengthen awareness of library resources and programs and will provide for the needs of students, individually and collectively, consistent with the personalized educational experience that is a hallmark of Juniata.
• Collaborate with faculty, academic affairs, and campus technology to develop resources and programs to encourage learning partnerships with students.
• Seek input on the services and programs offered within the Library and learning commons and to maintain balance with our collections and archives.
• As the primary advocate for the library, work with advancement to identify sources of funding from donors, foundations, and granting agencies.
• Participate in professional development opportunities, conferences, and service organizations that advocate for the Library and learning commons within the larger library community.
Minimum Degree Requirement
• Master of Library Science or Library and Information Science degree or related field from an ALA-accredited institution.
Related Work Experience
Previous experience in a library leadership position, including:
• Experience with increasing administrative responsibilities in a leadership position within an academic library or learning commons, including planning and coordinating aspects of library operations.
• Proven successful supervisory, management, and leadership experience with demonstrated commitment to professional growth and the development of a diverse and talented library staff.
• Demonstrated engagement with students preferably in an academic or research library.
• Successful collaboration with faculty, department chairs, and academic administrators--- in developing and delivering services, resources, and/or programming that support teaching, learning, and scholarship.
• Experience in strategic planning, budgeting, evaluation, and measuring and assessing library services.
• Experience with contemporary technology applications that support library and student learning.
• Experience in raising funds to support a library through fundraising, including external grants and philanthropy is preferred.
Experience as a change agent within a library setting, including:
• Familiarity with trends and best practices in higher education, academic libraries, and/or academic support centers with knowledge of the challenges and opportunities facing higher education, broadly, and academic libraries, in particular, and creative approaches to meeting the challenges and opportunities.
• Demonstrated commitment to and experience with the innovative use of existing and emergent technologies for communication, collaboration, skill development, and information resource and discovery in the digital age.
• Participation in library and information science organizations.
• Experience with project management, renovation, design, or implementation of a Library and/or learning commons is preferred.
Key Skills and Characteristics
The successful candidate will:
• Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Have project management skills and the ability to make evidence-based decisions.
• Demonstrate innovative thinking that affects positive process-oriented change.
• Demonstrate a collaborative, inclusive, and transparent management style.
• Serve as a champion for the Library, with a commitment to being visible on and off campus.
• Be committed to providing services that support and partner with all Juniata students, noting our efforts in inclusive excellence, cultural competency, and internationalization.
• Interact with and elicit feedback from a variety of individuals in order to view issues and make decisions from a community, college, and campus-wide perspective.
Juniata College takes positive steps to enhance diversity in both its community and its curriculum. The College commits to this policy, not because of legal obligations, but because it fully believes that such practices are basic to human dignity.
Review of applications will begin on February 13. It is the policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks. To apply for this position, please complete the online application: